We had a patient come in who was scheduled for an MRI Brain w/wo Contrast. The procedure was explained to him, and the IV for the contrast was placed prior to beginning the scan. The scan without contrast proceeded as normal. When it came time to inject the contrast, the patient refused the injection, stating that he did not want any contrast injected for the exam. The exam was then terminated.
What is the best way to code this procedure? My thought is to code only for the MRI Brain w/o Contrast, while a colleague feels that we might be able to code for scans w/wo contrast with a -52 modifier attached, because we did place the IV in preparation for using contrast.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join