AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Timers W/medassurant?

Default HIPPA Violations.....

AAPC: Back to School
    What's really going on with MedAssurant? I am a member of a yahoo group and there are some physician's offices complaining about them as well and one of the complaints is due to concerns of HIPPA violations. I am now wondering if there's a possibilty that I could have lost my coding credentials due to their HIPPA violations if I were still employed by them?

Portland, OR

Thumbs down I would not recommend them

just to add to what Icode4u and msbrowning have said...First off, I agree with exerything both of you have said...
    I ask anyone applying to them to beware. All of their employees are helpful and nice and understanding for the first few weeks and then everything you have read on this thread starts happening! Everything msbrowning experienced I experienced as well. The only thing I can add is this:
    I have experienced several situations where I was told I made an error, but remembered putting that HCC in! Almost every error I have "made" I don't remember making and in fact I remember capturing it. I hesitate to say that they don't do this on purpose to keep recycling their coders (so they can stay training, etc.) It just seems so fishy to me.

I just don't see how the people reviewing our charts are so "resistant" to mistakes themselves. Another example, my preceptor told me something was signed and after I challenged her, she admitted her mistake. The same thing happened on a code. She told me it did not fall under an HCC when in fact, it was an addition to the manual that we were notified of my email. When I challenged her, she again had to admit she was wrong. I can't prove whether my error rate was corrected after I pointed these out or whether she kept the error rate the same.

And regarding the choosing a "random" 25 charts to review and use to calculate our error rate...who's to say they don't review a chart and say "Oh, nothings wrong with this one let me try another" with the hope that they will find enough errors to give us a high error rate? You know what I mean? Like they could review more that 25 charts and only use the 25 that had errors in order to "fabricate" a higher error rate.

One last thing. My last check was supposedly mailed on 8/8 and I still have not received it. Today is 8/15 and when I called I was told several people are having the same issue and that the post office must be running slow this week. I don't believe it for a second!! I still have the equipment (this might explain the hold-up), but I am hesitant to send the equipment in before I receive my check! My rationale is once they get their equipment, I may never get my check. Not sure what to do...

Default would u advise me 2 work 4 medassurant

just passed my cpc and just had an offer from med assurant. would any one advise me to take it or not. pls am confused

Smile Jupiter

I think the experience you gain in any job especially your first is very valuable. I say go for it but you may want to continue your search to see if anything comes up down the road. The job market is so tough right now I hate to see anyone pass up an opportunity.

Medassurant seems to have pros and cons. BUT so does any job. I do think they have a high turnaround but so many coders would love the opportunity to work remotely. That is why I think you should give it a shot.

Good Luck to you!!
    Kelly Long CPC, CFE
    Manager Audit and Compliance

Milwaukee WI

Default I agree - get the experience

Kelly, very well said! Get the experience. You may succeed beyond your dreams; OR you may find that this is just not for you. Either way you've gotten experience, and learned something about the kind of work environment and type of work you are best suited to (or not, as the case may be).
    Go for it!

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M

I agree......what may not work for one person may actually be a dream for someone else!
    ~Amy, CPC, CPMA, CEMC~

Default MedAssurant eye opener

Wow, this is an eye opener for because everything that was talk about is true and I am worried about my job at MedAssurant. I am already seeing everything you guys have ben talking about and I am going to start job hunting again, just in case they decide to fire me.

Default I am tried of MedAssurant

I still work for MedAssurant and I can believe I am still there after 9 months but I am so tried of them making up crazy rule, they lies about alot of thing such the new rule they put on me yesterday is that there California Law employee can't work over 8 hours day or it will be consider overtime. They are so stupid because I am contractor with them for 40 hours a week not 8 hours day. So if I want to work a 10 hours day I can. I ave been working 10 hours off and on for the last 9 months and then all of sudden I can't do that. That was the reason why I wanted to work from home is to be able to pick my own hours and schedule. I am of the best coder the my team has and I met all my productivity and hours every week and this how they try to play me. It is time for me to move on to another job.

The complaints are legitimate folks. I had 100% accuracy on my annual review, that was 2 months ago, today I'm out of a job. Basically, bad business practices lead to innocent hard workingpeople paying the price. I had said good things when I started, and I have to say that I did not have bad leads, but I DID have 5 of them, all with different answers to internal issues! Anyone who gets fired from this company: Keep your head up, it's definitely not you, it's bad business!

Default reply

Be careful, you're going to make it look non-compliant for any prospective employer or client and it will be even harder for some coders to present their case when it comes to requesting to work from home.
    It may also cost you your certification. I realize that companies can get to you like this, but don't let it cost you everything you work hard for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12