Feeling Discouraged...Please help

Exclamation Feeling Discouraged...Please help
    Medical Coding Books
    I had been laid of after working for a company for a little over 6 years and have been literally applying to over 40+ jobs.

I have had about 4 interviews and I feel like I have done pretty good and left a good first impression on each one of them. One interview for a position which I am praying I will be getting a call back from, lasted about an hourof just face-to-face interview time. I was told the usual "We'll be making a decision soon and we will let you know," and " We will call you back after we are done interviewing," etc. on each of these interviews. I have yet to hear back from any employer and I am beginning to feel discouraged and depressed.

I have never been in this position before and I do not know if it is my resume, my references or my own desperation to be hired coming through in these interviews but are there any suggestions and/or advice that anyone can give me??

I have attached my resume for review as well.

Thanks a million in advance!!

Ileana Rodriguez, CPC
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ily620, I sent you a private message with some thoughts about your resume. So check your private messages. Best regards.

Default Discouraged
    For what it's worth I would say your resume is way too long.
    It needs to be brief, accurate and to the point. Prospective employers don't want to know every little detail about what you did in your previous employments....don't forget that they will probably have many applicants and anything with so many words will probably be consigned to the trash before they've read it all the way through.
    I'm not in any way saying yours is only fit for the trash; what I am suggesting is only put relevant bullet points in (relevant to the position you're applying for) and leave out all the peripheral stuff. Enclose a brief cover letter as well.
    Keep a prospective hirer interested in you from the first contact (your resume).

Good luck

4. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ily620 View Post
    I had been laid of after working for a company for a little over 6 years and have been literally applying to over 40+ jobs.

I have had about 4 interviews and I feel like I have done pretty good and left a good first impression on each one of them. One interview for a position which I am praying I will be getting a call back from, lasted about an hourof just face-to-face interview time. I was told the usual "We'll be making a decision soon and we will let you know," and " We will call you back after we are done interviewing," etc. on each of these interviews. I have yet to hear back from any employer and I am beginning to feel discouraged and depressed.

I have never been in this position before and I do not know if it is my resume, my references or my own desperation to be hired coming through in these interviews but are there any suggestions and/or advice that anyone can give me??

I have attached my resume for review as well.

Thanks a million in advance!!

Ileana Rodriguez, CPC
    I have had the same experience; until I happened upon a staffing agency. I am now able to pay my bills and the company I work for is a large insurance company with some potential for growth.

My advice: Don't think about what you don't have. Take this time to really think about your future and think of all the possibilities that are open to you as you search for your next challenge. Depression is normal when you get laid off; there's a grieving process for job loss. It's ok to feel what you are feeling, depressed, happy or sad eventually that will pass.

One thing you can do is go to your workforce office and they will help you in any number of ways, including resume writing.

The plain fact is, times are tough; don't take any rejection personally. Spread the word around at your local chapter meetings and network like crazy. You never know where the next opportunity can come from.

I have faith in you; now you need to have faith in you! Best of luck!

Nancy Price, CPC
    Member Development Officer
    Denver AAPC

Default llena
    Most people would not read a 3 page resume. My friend has a four page and she is getting no interviews because it ends in the trash. You have great experience but way too much information. The whole idea of a resume is to give the prospective employer a look at some of the things you have done (keywords are great) and make them interested enough to give you a interview or hire you. when you go to the interview you fillin the blanks. Dont need high school only college on resume. Dont reference on request. Thats perfect for your cover letter. Emphasize your accomplishments. Im looking for fulltime work too so I know its very hard. Interviews I think I do great but no callbacks but I understand lots of people applying.

After you have an interview, ask when you can follow up. For example if they say that they should make their decision by Friday, and you dont hear from them call them. Just let them know you were following up on the position and have not heard back from them. Just one call is sufficient so they know that you are interested. Also maybe sent a thank you letter for the interview and make sure in the letter you go over why you would be good for the job. Employers see so many resume's these days that this can help you to stand out.

7. Default Discouraged
    Hi,

I wonder, since you have been without a job for a long period of time.
    Would you be willing to take a medical secretary job, that could include billing the office charges?
    Just a suggestion, to get your foot in the door.
    I am in need of a medical secretary with Nextgen experience.
    Bi-lingual Spanish a plus.
    We are in Atlanta, though.
    Good luck.
    Jeanne
    Cardiology of Atlanta