AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Multiple Day Psych Hold

Default Multiple Day Psych Hold

AAPC: Back to School
    Psych pt (suicidal) is held in ED for multiple days. Our Psych unit has no beds, and neither does any nearby facility we could transfer to. ED doc does not state pt is in observation, but pt clearly was as he was evaluated each day and given meds. My thought was billing obs codes, but since doc doesn't state anywhere pt was put in obs status, I wasn't sure that was even an option.

Does anyone else have this type of issue and how do your docs document and code these? Any opinions would be appreciated.....thanks!

This is an interesting case..... Would it be possible to add the doctors note without patient information?
    Susan Edwards, CPC, CEDC

Default Multiple Day Hold in ED

I'm not comfortable posting this type of info even without pt or physician info; the visit notes are also really long. If there are specific questions about the case, I can certainly try to answer them.

Similar Threads

1. Multiple Diagnosis In One Day
    By mgzendejas in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2014, 03:30 PM
  2. same day multiple same E/M Code
    By lorbprce in forum E/M
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-31-2014, 05:36 AM
  3. 3 day psych hold in ED
    By colsonccsp@yahoo.com in forum Emergency Department
    Replies: 5