You state the patient is admitted for scheduled surgery ... in other words, at some point in the past the patient was seen in the office or clinic and a decision was made that surgery was needed, and the surgery was scheduled.
If that is the case, then NO, you cannot bill any E/M for admission to the hospital for the procedure. Yes, I know the hospital will require and H&P. Makes no difference. The reimbursement for the procedure already includes the pre- and post-operative care/evaluation/management.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join