51 modifier is for physician use only, it is used on the second and subsequent procedure code(s) to indicate when they have been performed in the same procedural session as the first procedure. Its purpose it to indicate that multiple procedure discounting should take place.
59 modifier is applicable when two procedures are performed and could be component of comprehensive code or could be mutually exclusive, the modifier will negate this edit and allow for both procedures as documentation can support that no bundling should take place such as separate site, separate organ, separate incision. If the definition alone indicates the two procedures are already separate then you do not need the 59.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join