I may post this in OB/GYN forum as well. Here is a complicated question:
There is a group of codes in ICD-9: The 639 section- complications following abortion and ectopic and molar pregnancies. From what I gather from reading, this section is intended for coding episodes of care after the initial encounter for the abortion, molar or ectopic pregnancies.
In ICD-10, the code section O08- (Complications following ectopic and molar pregnancy) is the closest approximation to the above codes. However, the design in 10 is different than 9. First, I-10 does not include abortion in this category as it did in I-9. Second, I-10 does not seem to specify that these codes are intended for complications AFTER the initial encounter/admission as it did in I-9.
I think my question is, did the coding concept change in I-10? Are these codes specifically designed only for ectopic and molar pregnancy complications at any point in time? Or are they still specifically for episodes of care following initial hospitalization?
I hope this made sense. I am working on ICD-10 conversions and this is just one of the many crazy scenarios that I've come across! Thanks in advance for your help.
Michelle Hanson, CPC
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join