Influenza Like Illness - help

Default Influenza Like Illness - help
    Medical Coding Books
    Our providers want to give the dx 487.1 to patients that have flu like symptoms but have negative tests. The description of 487.1 is influenza with other respiratory manifestations so we would be reporting cases of the flu that are not actually positive cases. Am I thinking correct here?
    So, they want a dx for flu like illness is this the ARI 465.9 or do we report other viral infection 079.99 or the signs and symptoms? I am so confused.

Per the ICD-9-CM coding guideline you cannot code for probable, suspected, questionalbe, rule out, or working diagnosis or other similar terms indicating uncertainty. In these cases you must code the signs and symptoms.

If the flu test was negative then this indicates an uncertain flu diagnosis. Coding the signs and symptoms would be appropriate in this case.
    Last edited by britbrit852003; 02-09-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: misspelling
    Brittany Purcell, CPC

3. Default
    I do agree with brit about not coding probable, suspected, etc. However, if you look in the Index, there is a listing for Influenza-Like Disease, which does code to 487.1 and that is how we code it.

Quote Originally Posted by JulesofColorado View Post
    I do agree with brit about not coding probable, suspected, etc. However, if you look in the Index, there is a listing for Influenza-Like Disease, which does code to 487.1 and that is how we code it.
    If that is that case then thats how you have to code it, the index superseeds the guidelines.
    Brittany Purcell, CPC

Even though the test is negative for influenza the diagnosis can be 487.1?

6. Default
    i'd go with 786.9.

Quote Originally Posted by JulesofColorado View Post
    What is the look up for that? I cannot find it in the index? I looked under flu, influenza, illness.
    Brittany Purcell, CPC

8. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by britbrit852003 View Post
    What is the look up for that? I cannot find it in the index? I looked under flu, influenza, illness.
    When you first look up illness it says see also disease. Then disease says see also syndrome. From syndrome you look for influenza-like.

Quote Originally Posted by mmartin@delhihospital.com View Post
    When you first look up illness it says see also disease. Then disease says see also syndrome. From syndrome you look for influenza-like.

Found it thanks! I wanted to show my head coder!
    Brittany Purcell, CPC