tissue debridement

1. Default tissue debridement
    Medical Coding Books
    Hello all,

Doctor did 29881 (lateral meniscectomy)

Then op note states:

The ACL had a lot hemorrhagic tissue anteriorly. This was probably the source of the bleeding. These were removed w/ the shaver.( DX: partial tear of ACL and hemarthrosis)

Enough to bill unlisted and compare to?

Thanks!
    Jamie

2. Default 2nd request
    any takers?

I dont suppose the shaving counts as chondroplasty (debridement/shaving of articular cartilage) does it? I only ask because you mention the ACL in relation to it. if so, and if it's 2012, chondroplasty is included in meniscectomy now, so you could just bill the 29881. otherwise you could be right about the unlisted.

Default I would be inclined to bill this as a chondroplasty
    Chondroplasty means 'reshaping the joint surface' and refers to simple surgical techniques whereby fibrillated (ragged) and damaged joint surface is cut, scraped, lasered or burred away in the hope that the healthy joint surface will heal over the defect.
    CPC, COSC

Quote Originally Posted by nrichard View Post
    Chondroplasty means 'reshaping the joint surface' and refers to simple surgical techniques whereby fibrillated (ragged) and damaged joint surface is cut, scraped, lasered or burred away in the hope that the healthy joint surface will heal over the defect.
    does that mean it's something different? I'm curious myself, always like learning about the actual procedures and techniques behind the codes, it gives a good visual, which can help when comparing different types of procedures, and choosing a code.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron.lucas View Post
    does that mean it's something different? I'm curious myself, always like learning about the actual procedures and techniques behind the codes, it gives a good visual, which can help when comparing different types of procedures, and choosing a code.
    Does that mean something different? I'm sorry I'm not sure what your question was?

As far as my original post, it was meant to show the definition of chondroplasty is not limited by the method, to show that yes the shaving does count as a form of chondroplasty since it is reshaping the joint.
    CPC, COSC

Ok, that answers my question. I was confused by the way you wrote it, no worries now though. thanks for the info!