Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I wasting my time and my son's money?

Promo: Code Books
    I wonder if if varies from state to state because I have never had trouble getting a coding job even before I was certified.
    Jenifer McPolin CPC, CPMA, RCC

I don't mean to throw cold water on this, but I am 58, passed the exam on my first attempt back in September, 2011, and have been trying to find a position, any position, in the medical field since then.

Maybe it is where I live, (about 50 miles north of Kansas City), but I have received absolutely no response to job applications, or queries, either by email or phone.

While I am very fortunate that I have a full-time job in another field, I feel I was sold a bill of goods about the great prospects for medical coding employment.

Make sure you attend your local chapter meetings. This is a great networking opportunity for you to meet coders in your area, and to introduce yourself to hiring managers. I have hired several of my entry-level staff after having met them at our local chapter meetings.
    Pam Brooks, MHA, CPC, PCS, COC
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

I appreciate each and every reply. I think it is fair to say that just getting the certification will not, in itself, get me a job. I will make networking a top priority and try to get a job somewhere in the medical field at any level. I know a local hospital that is always advertising for a part-time admitting representative. Maybe I could qualify for that. I understand Kaiser will be building a new facility within 25 mi of my home in 2013 and that may open up things. There is a local AAPC meeting coming up, so I'll go to that.

Thank you all for your time and opinions.

Hi! I know with my area, hospitals will only take on those who've had a number of years experience as those jobs are remote. As for our clinics- most of them outsource to a billing company. I know there is a coder who is 2hrs away and is in the same boat so she's traveling that distance for an internship. If you get on your local board, maybe you could intern to get your foot in the door and some places will even pay you for the internship too! But don't give up!

Brooke Bierman, CPC, CPB
    Coding & Billing Manager
    2014 President AAPC Des Moines Chapter

Quote Originally Posted by babierman View Post
    Hi! I know with my area, hospitals will only take on those who've had a number of years experience as those jobs are remote. As for our clinics- most of them outsource to a billing company. I know there is a coder who is 2hrs away and is in the same boat so she's traveling that distance for an internship. If you get on your local board, maybe you could intern to get your foot in the door and some places will even pay you for the internship too! But don't give up!
    When you say "get on your local board," do you mean the local chapter of AAPC?

Oh sorry! Yes, definitely go to the chapter meetings like others have said and network! I found when I signed up for an interventional radiology class and drove to Chicago, that also helped me network and get to know people. It seems as though people hold on to their coding positions until they retire- well, at least in the three jobs I've had with coding. It sounds like you have a ton of qualities and experience to rock this field!!!

Brooke Bierman, CPC, CPB
    Coding & Billing Manager
    2014 President AAPC Des Moines Chapter

Default don't give up

Linda
    I urge you not to give up. You have a history that will go along with your new quest. Age is no longer a factor in getting a job.
    Do apply for even a part time job in one of the local medical offices or hospitals. Even a volunteer job will get your foot in a door and once you start hearing and seeing some of what you are learning it will make so much more sense.
    Even volunteering at the Emergency Medical Service in your area will open doors.
    Good luck in your new quest.

Pat,
    RHIT-CCS-CEDC

Quote Originally Posted by babierman View Post
    Oh sorry! Yes, definitely go to the chapter meetings like others have said and network! I found when I signed up for an interventional radiology class and drove to Chicago, that also helped me network and get to know people. It seems as though people hold on to their coding positions until they retire- well, at least in the three jobs I've had with coding. It sounds like you have a ton of qualities and experience to rock this field!!!
    I thought it was ironic that a meeting I would like to attend at the local chapter is on the same night as the class! It is on remote coding, too, so darn! I don't know if I will "rock this field!!!" (that made me smile), but I am exacting, detailed oriented and tenacious, which I think will go far at this type of work!

Thanks for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by patchapman View Post
    Linda
    I urge you not to give up. You have a history that will go along with your new quest. Age is no longer a factor in getting a job.
    Do apply for even a part time job in one of the local medical offices or hospitals. Even a volunteer job will get your foot in a door and once you start hearing and seeing some of what you are learning it will make so much more sense.
    Even volunteering at the Emergency Medical Service in your area will open doors.
    Good luck in your new quest.

Pat,
    RHIT-CCS-CEDC
    Thank you for the encouragement, Pat. I am going to re-do my resume to address a Admitting Representative position (part-time, on call) at a local hospital. I've worked a little at a living assisted center, been a hospice respite care volunteer, and am guardian for my mother and brother (which has put me in the position of dealing with many medical related matters). I've got my medical terminology and basic coding classes almost completed, too. So I'm not entirely lacking in experience and knowledge I'm going to GO FOR IT!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast