Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Am I wasting my time and my son's money?

Default Your money is not wasted!
    Exam Training Packages
    Well, my philosophy is that where there is a will there is a way! My husband was in sales for well over 25 years and he always held to the fact that it may take 10 NO's to get a YES. That being said, when you are applying for positions you keep applying! To everything there is a purpose and a season under heaven(not to be Biblical), but each of us has their seasons we go through. In this economy, you have to be persisitant about what you are applying to. If that means you have to move then do it! In my geographical area most coders don't have any type of degree and that limits them in the job market. Employers want someone with a diverse background and I believe your accounting skills will be an asset to you. To me those who say it is a waste have not knocked on all the doors. I get available new jobs sent to me just about every day. If you are not getting a response on your resume then maybe you need to have someone review it to see if there is something you are missing or you are not presenting in the best way. Also, get involved with your local chapter on the board, that helps with employers seeing that you are involved with CODING! If you are persistant it will pay off. Don't expect to walk in and get a job paying what someone who is seasoned is making. Six months of experience can get you moved up the ladder sooner than NO experience. Keep trying!! That is my advice. It doesn't matter what someone else is saying if you want to achieve your goals. It is up to you!

-Phyllis D- CPC,CPC-P, CPC-I

2. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by davisph View Post
    Well, my philosophy is that where there is a will there is a way! My husband was in sales for well over 25 years and he always held to the fact that it may take 10 NO's to get a YES. That being said, when you are applying for positions you keep applying! To everything there is a purpose and a season under heaven(not to be Biblical), but each of us has their seasons we go through. In this economy, you have to be persisitant about what you are applying to. If that means you have to move then do it! In my geographical area most coders don't have any type of degree and that limits them in the job market. Employers want someone with a diverse background and I believe your accounting skills will be an asset to you. To me those who say it is a waste have not knocked on all the doors. I get available new jobs sent to me just about every day. If you are not getting a response on your resume then maybe you need to have someone review it to see if there is something you are missing or you are not presenting in the best way. Also, get involved with your local chapter on the board, that helps with employers seeing that you are involved with CODING! If you are persistant it will pay off. Don't expect to walk in and get a job paying what someone who is seasoned is making. Six months of experience can get you moved up the ladder sooner than NO experience. Keep trying!! That is my advice. It doesn't matter what someone else is saying if you want to achieve your goals. It is up to you!

-Phyllis D- CPC,CPC-P, CPC-I
    YES YES YES! I completely agree with what you are saying! I _so_ much needed to be a part of this group and I'm glad that I joined. Real-world input from all of you is SO appreciated! I think I will continue to get some more classes under my belt as I go along here. Thanks for responding!

3. Unhappy
    I know how you feel. I worked full time, went to school 3 evenings a week for Medical Coding and Billing (15 months),lots of homework,tests,projects, I did very well, passed my CPC while having to study on my own, at the same time, learning a new X-ray system and computer program at work. Spent over $6000 for school,$300 for the exam,$ to join AAPC so I could take the CPC exam cannot get a job in this field and faced with the same ICD-10 challenge, do I spend another $700 plus for boot camp! I am in the healthcare field! Very discouraging

4. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbalducci View Post
    I know how you feel. I worked full time, went to school 3 evenings a week for Medical Coding and Billing (15 months),lots of homework,tests,projects, I did very well, passed my CPC while having to study on my own, at the same time, learning a new X-ray system and computer program at work. Spent over $6000 for school,$300 for the exam,$ to join AAPC so I could take the CPC exam cannot get a job in this field and faced with the same ICD-10 challenge, do I spend another $700 plus for boot camp! I am in the healthcare field! Very discouraging
    Someone earlier made the comment that they wondered if certain geographical areas were harder than others for getting into the medical coding field. What state are you in? Is anyone in Oregon? That's where I am....I'm wondering how this area is for jobs....

You sure put in a lot of work, time and money! My instructor would say, yes, do the ICD-10 training because a lot of older coders are going to retire rather than go through learning something new....

I am Utah not sure about Oregon.
    Jenifer McPolin CPC, CPMA, RCC

6. Default
    I am in Connecticut. Thank you for the encouragement however I do feel age is a factor. They would rather hire someone in their 40's figuring they may at least be there for 20 years. Just a feeling I get.
    Last edited by ajbalducci; 02-20-2012 at 04:41 PM.

I got my CPC when I was 32 while working in a coding position at a University Hospital billing company with 4 years prior coding experience. I think you are right though I think employers link age with experience.
    Jenifer McPolin CPC, CPMA, RCC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123