Audo coding

Default Audo coding
    Medical Coding Books
    Has anyone heard of audo coding? Is this something that coders could be replaced with? I just heard a little about this today and woundering if we coders will be replaced by a machine.
    Any feedback would be great! THANKS! ANY FEED BACK PLEASE!
    Last edited by Karen48; 02-10-2012 at 07:18 AM.

2. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by KAREN64 View Post
    Has anyone heard of audo coding? Is this something that coders could be replaced with? I just heard a little about this today and woundering if we coders will be replaced by a machine.
    Any feedback would be great! THANKS! ANY FEED BACK PLEASE!
    Auto coding is a tool that some EMR programs have available and can be utilized by those Physicians that don't have a coder or as a pre-coding tool. But this can be turned off in the program...which is what all of us that are coders prefer!

Jenna

Default Audo coding
    Thanks for replying! So, are you saying that it is a pre coding tool only? I heard that it actually codes from the docs report. I work for a large radiology practice. I find it hard to believe audo coder could really work? Any feed back please! Thanks!

As with most EMRs the physician does the inital coding, but requires a coder to review and validate the codes seletected. It has been my experience that procedure coding does not lend itself to this type of coding easily, it is easier to do the E/M coding this way, but still requires verification by a trained coder.
    EVELYN KIM , MBA, CPC, CPMA,CRC