Billing for Pre-Filled Saline Flushes

Red face Billing for Pre-Filled Saline Flushes
    Medical Coding Books
    Our oncologist usually purchases a groshong kit from the pharmacy at the hospital to send home with his patients so they can flush their port before chemo. The kit consists of pre-filled saline flush, tegaderm dressing, chloraprep and alcohol swabs.
    Can anyone tell me if he can bill for these if his office begins putting them together instead of purchasing them from pharmacy?
    Vanessa Ramirez, CPC, CHC, CPB
    San Angelo, Texas

I know you can bill for supplies if you are an outpatient facility connected to the hospital (Provider Based), but if the group is its own entity (physician based), I am not sure, I think if its private practice, it would be at his own discrection, like I said, I am not certain though.

Default H&P required every 30 days for chemotherapy?
    Hi - Can anyone give me feedback on this issue? It is required for surgeries and outpatient procedures that an H&P be performed every 30 days. Our hospital coders think this should apply to chemotherapy services as well. The answer I rec'd is that it depends upon the hospital bylaws. Does anyone have any input on this question? Thank you.

Default erin30
    Thank you for your response. We are a private practice group and just happen to lease the building connected to the hospital. The next question is how to bill for those supplies and is there a bulk code for this?
    San Angelo, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by nklynch View Post
    Hi - Can anyone give me feedback on this issue? It is required for surgeries and outpatient procedures that an H&P be performed every 30 days. Our hospital coders think this should apply to chemotherapy services as well. The answer I rec'd is that it depends upon the hospital bylaws. Does anyone have any input on this question? Thank you.
    Our Oncologist/Hematologist has an H&P on his chemo patients every 30 days.
    San Angelo, Texas