Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CMS will re-examine ICD-10 timeline

Default CMS will re-examine ICD-10 timeline
    Exam Training Packages
    Just saw this and thought everyone might want to see this

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...ign=hits-alert

I can't imagine that they would extend that timeline out too far, if at all. Its inevitible that the US needs to switch. Many organizations have already begun working toward that implementation deadline, and to extend it too far would be a monetary loss for many. It might be helpful to extend it out a short time span, as providers are faced with a lot of changes in a short amount of time; 5010, EHR, etc.
    Michelle Hanson, CPC

I hope they dont extend it out too long. We might have to jump into ICD-11 instead

Since new codes are always introduced on 10-1 every year, it might be difficult to use any other date, unless they go out 1 year to 2014. I read the article earlier today and found it interesting that she stated this while speaking before an AMA contingency. I hope they don't wait until next year to tell us they are extending until 2014. We all now how fast Medicare works....
    LeeAnn

I would like to know as soon as possible. I was planning on learning ICD 10 in January of 2013. Did not want to do it so far in advance and then forget everything when it does start

CMS reps states the would examine the timeline, not change it.

Rule #2 about coding: don't read too much into anything.

Default Careful reading
    Upon reading the article carefully, it was the AUTHOR who came to the conclusion that the date would change. The acting CMS head said it would be "re-examined." The two do not necessarily mean the same thing.

Lance Smith, MPA, COC, CPMA, CEMC, RHIT, CCS-P, CHC, CHPC

Director, Health Information Management
    HealthAlliance of the Hudson Valley
    Kingston, NY

2016 Secretary
    Ellenville, NY Local Chapter

I don't believe they will change the date. Maybe, possibly, offer a short grace period, but I don't look for any significant change. CMS has stood by their "firm" date of 10/1/13!! Too many entities are on tract for 2013.
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, COC, CEMC, COSC
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

I agree with Machelle, that perhaps they will do something similar to 5010 and have an implementation date and then a date a couple of months later that you must comply by, or a grace period, maybe the first of the year.
    LeeAnn

Don't believe anything until you see it on CMS or their contractors website. I agree with the other posts that they will most likely have a 'grace period'. I'm studying anatomy and pathophysiology now which includes some insight into ICD 10 coding. Next year I will take the coding training. Yes, there is a lot to learn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast