Double Dipping HPI/ROS

1. Default Double Dipping HPI/ROS
    Exam Training Packages
    Hello,

I have a question about the ROS and "double dipping". My doc has dictated an inital hospital visit and in the HPI section has listed the problem as chest pain with shortness of breath. In the ROS she has listed out her elements but when it comes to the cardiovasular and the respiratory she states "see HPI".

Can I use these for both HPI elements and ROS? I looked in the 1995/1997 documentation guidelines and it does not state a rule like this.

If there is literature on this, can someone direct me to that please? I am here in AZ and we go through Noridian.

Thank you!

this is an answer from the highmark medicare website:

https://www.highmarkmedicareservices...rvices.html#15

When scoring the review of systems (ROS), can you use the systems addressed in the history of present illness (HPI) elements or is that "double dipping"?
    ROS inquiries are questions concerning the system(s) directly related to the problem(s) identified in the HPI. Therefore, it is not considered "double dipping" to use the system(s) addressed in the HPI for ROS credit.

Date Posted: 10/16/2009, Date Revised: 11/19/2011

hope this helps.

3. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
    this is an answer from the highmark medicare website:

https://www.highmarkmedicareservices...rvices.html#15

When scoring the review of systems (ROS), can you use the systems addressed in the history of present illness (HPI) elements or is that "double dipping"?
    ROS inquiries are questions concerning the system(s) directly related to the problem(s) identified in the HPI. Therefore, it is not considered "double dipping" to use the system(s) addressed in the HPI for ROS credit.

Date Posted: 10/16/2009, Date Revised: 11/19/2011

hope this helps.
    Thank you RLH27, this is the frustrating part about E/M so many suggestions of the same rule and so different interpretations. I have heard that you cannot use a describing factor for the ROS if it's already used as a describing factor in the HPI.

Thanks again...

Quote Originally Posted by dscoder74 View Post
    Thank you RLH27, this is the frustrating part about E/M so many suggestions of the same rule and so different interpretations. I have heard that you cannot use a describing factor for the ROS if it's already used as a describing factor in the HPI.

Thanks again...
    dscoder74:

I see your mac is not Highmark Medicare so you maybe under differant rules regarding "double dipping". My advice would be to check with your carrier before applying this method to your auditing/coding.
    Roxanne Thames CPC, CPC-I, CEMC
    rthamescpci@gmail.com

"Remember the greatest gift is not found in the store but in the heart of true friends"

5. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by rthames052006 View Post
    dscoder74:

I see your mac is not Highmark Medicare so you maybe under differant rules regarding "double dipping". My advice would be to check with your carrier before applying this method to your auditing/coding.
    I thought the same thing, thank you, my MI are Noridian and Palmetto GBA

i suppose it's easy to find the plethora of info provided by trailblazer and highmark even my mac, cahaba, has an answer to the HPI ROS double dipping question on their FAQ but I looked on yours briefly and didn't see anything. didn't find anything on the MedAssets database search which usually spits out a gem or two. good luck!

7. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
    i suppose it's easy to find the plethora of info provided by trailblazer and highmark even my mac, cahaba, has an answer to the HPI ROS double dipping question on their FAQ but I looked on yours briefly and didn't see anything. didn't find anything on the MedAssets database search which usually spits out a gem or two. good luck!
    Thanks so much for looking and letting me know! Much appreciated!