Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

HHS Press Release: Just announced

Medical Coding Books
    Good afternoon everyone. In response to Michelle Hanson's reply, I guess I am feeling a little relieved AND frustrated. It will be interesting to discover which "covered entities" the Secretary of Health was referring to. One blog mentioned that in Canada ICD-10 is only used by hospitals. Hopefully we will be given some clarification in the not-too-distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcpolin View Post
    I believe I saw someone post why not just wait until ICD-11 comes out at this point, I agree with that if they are going to push the ICD-10 out any further.
    They can not wait until ICD-11. First of all, that is just in the very beginning stages of development, so will be several years away. Then it will have to go thru rule making processes in the US before it can be implemented. Second, and more important, it is based on the principles of ICD-10. Delaying until ICD-11 is not an option. There is more about this in the proposed and final rules for ICD-10. Third, they have to implement ICD-10as it is the code set of HIPAA.

If they would wait until ICD-11, it would be way more to implement than ICD-10 is.
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, COC, CEMC, COSC
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    I agree! Also I read another piece from a different CMS entity which stated to continue to prepare for ICD-10 CM with the same implementation date in mind. Also I find it interesting that the article and the CMS person was careful to word the transition as ICD-10. In the US we will use ICD-10 CM. This is what is in the HIPAA regulation and the Federal Register not ICD-10. Accident? or purposeful?
    Just like the Obama comments in this thread earlier, I am not sure if the person realizes the difference between ICD-10 and ICD-10-CM. Even if that person is from CMS - I am sure anyone here who has had the pleasure of talking to CMS reps know that they are not all knowledgable on this topic.

Lance Smith, MPA, COC, CPMA, CEMC, RHIT, CCS-P, CHC, CHPC

Director, Health Information Management
    HealthAlliance of the Hudson Valley
    Kingston, NY

2016 Secretary
    Ellenville, NY Local Chapter

Default for what it's worth
    I am not completely suprised by the decision to delay. My frustration is that they haven't announced a new implementation date. I think "certain entities" going forward while others aren't would be horrible. Can you imagine an insurance trying to handle both ICD-10 and ICD-9 with no uniform stop start date? That would be a heavy burden for all insurance carriers.

I am honestly slightly revlieved because of the delay. (I think I am the only coder in my organization who is) I work for an organization that employes 100+ providers (multi specialty). We are currently trying to get our EHR off the ground for our providers and new software for our hospital departments. The providers are expected to learn our EHR for their clinic duties and another new software for their hospital duties. It is going to be an extremely stressful time for the providers. If the delay is only a few months, then I welcome the extra time to examine each of our providers current documenatation, so the providers have the opportunity to be educated on the importance of their documentation and how it will be affected with the implemination of ICD-10.

I have talked with several of our providers and they are releived as well. e-prescribing, new EHR, new organization structure... They are a little over-whelmed.

I am not hoping for a lengthy delay, but I plan on using any and all extra time to further educate myself, my staff, and my providers. ICD-10 is inevitable, we know, so I don't see that any money we have already spent is wasted. So instead of being negative about the delay, I will use it as extra "study time" so that hopefully when the new implementation date rolls around, I will be better prepared.

So for now, I say continue on training and educating... and waiting for the new implementation date before altering your education plan.

Cansas Riggenbach, CPC

I'm not sure what your providers are relieved about, as nothing has changed yet, and it may not change at all. It may just be a grace period. CMS is looking at this idea, but nothing has been set in stone yet. Right now, there is no delay! CMS is taking a look at possibly delaying implementation, but I think they are going to get way more push back on delaying it now, than comments in favor of a delay. CMS has even stated "proceed as if the date is 10/1/13" for now!!!

I will say, some organizations are really using this "potential" situation to their advantange. I got an email yesterday stating "as I-10 is delayed" and they were pushing their I-10 training. I got another one this morning that says "CMS confirms I-10 delay" but when you read the article, it clearing states CMS is reviewing the possibility of a push back.

The only thing for sure right now is CMS is taking a look at the implementation date. IF and WHEN a change is made, they will publish that information. Also, everyone wants the "delay" date today. With the rule-making process, there may not be an announcement for several months.

People need to not get caught up in waiting to train, as it may come back that CMS says there will be no delay. Then those people are even further behind than they might be now.
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, COC, CEMC, COSC
    AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer

There has been (to my knowledge) no absolute formal decision to delay, postpone or otherwise move the I-10 date. All I've read is that CMS is considering a delay, and at best will possibly implement a grace period for certain entities. The AMA is still leaning heavily on CMS, but other groups (like AHIMA) and large healthcare facilities that have already invested thousands (if not millions)of dollars in ICD-10 preparation are encouraging CMS to not cave in.

As professionals, we are trained to read and research carefully and not make decisions based on anything other than regulatory guidance. I know that this is a hot topic, but we must be extremely particular with what and how we communicate this recent development to our providers and each other, in order that we don't further perpetuate chaos. The conversion is going to be challenging enough, I expect.

I think that those of us who are responsible for ICD-10 implementation should stay on the course that we've set forth. Worst case scenario will be that we have a brief delay, which might provide a bit of breathing room. If there is no delay (or a delay only for some), then we'll be glad we didn't hold off on our implementation plans.
    Pam Brooks, MHA, COC, PCS, CPC, AAPC Fellow
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

well stated Pam! Also it occurred to me that There are 2 official dates for implementation of ICD code changes, they wrote into the HIPAA regulation several years back that codes changes could officially occur on Oct 1 and April 1 of each year. The fact that they have never used the April 1 date does not mean they will not start now! So they could in fact either delay until April 1 2014, or implement Oct 1 2013 with a phase in thur April 1. And still get this thing off the ground in fiscal 2014.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Just got this emailed to me from CMS. I guess they are doing a survey from the physicians and facility's to see how far they have gotten with the ICD-10 implementation.

The link to the survey is:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WEDIFeb12ICD10

News Updates | February 24, 2012

WEDI's Survey on ICD-10 Industry Progress Now Open
    The Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange (WEDI) is conducting its latest Industry Progress Survey on ICD-10. Information from this survey will be used to inform WEDI, CMS, and other organizations on the progress of ICD-10 implementation. This brief survey will also assist in planning necessary programs and actions to assist the industry in transitioning to ICD-10.
    To gather the most complete picture of progress within the industry, this survey is open to all organizations affected by ICD-10 such as vendors, health plans, providers, and payers. The survey is open to both WEDI members and non-members.
    Responses to this survey will be gathered online. WEDI asks that participants only submit one survey per organization. The survey will close on Wednesday, February 29, 2012. Please direct any questions to Ann Marie Railing at WEDI at 703-391-2718 or amrailing@wedi.org.
    Keep Up to Date on Version 5010 and ICD-10.
    Please visit the ICD-10 website for the latest news and resources to help you prepare, and to download and share the implementation widget today!

They are releived that there is a possibility they will get more time to learn their new softwares and ICD-10. Nothing has changed for them, but it is coming. Sorry I was not more specific in saying the possibility of delay. However, in the press release it states "HHS will announce a new compliance date moving forward." That statement may be what is confusing many people. CMS is saying they are reviewing the possibility, and the HHS is saying they will announce a new compliance date. The scretchy details from several people and organizations are confusing.

Again, I stand by my statement. A little more breathing room would give us more time to train and get further educated.
    Last edited by cansas; 02-24-2012 at 11:59 AM.

I would doubt that an April, 2014 date would be announced. Because of federal budgeting and fiscal planning, I would hedge that the implementation date will be pushed back a year or two. Then interestingly enough, could we go straight to ICD-11? There is a release date of 2015 or 2016 slated for the soon to be new version.
    Sherry Miller, MBA/HCM, CPC, CEMC
    Epic Management, LP

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast