Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

HHS Press Release: Just announced

Default HHS Press Release: Just announced
    Medical Coding Books
    HHS Press Release: HHS Announces Intent to Delay ICD-10 Compliance Date

In a new press release from HHS, Secretary Kathleen Sebelius announced that HHS will initiate a process to postpone the compliance date by which certain health entities have to comply with ICD-10. The press release can be found below.
    Press Release: HHS Announces Intent to Delay ICD-10 Compliance Date
    As part of President Obama's commitment to reducing regulatory burden, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen G. Sebelius today announced that HHS will initiate a process to postpone the date by which certain health care entities have to comply with International Classification of Diseases, 10th Edition diagnosis and procedure codes (ICD-10).
    The final rule adopting ICD-10 as a standard was published in January 2009 and set a compliance date of October 1, 2013 – a delay of two years from the compliance date initially specified in the 2008 proposed rule. HHS will announce a new compliance date moving forward.
    “ICD-10 codes are important to many positive improvements in our health care system,” said HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius. “We have heard from many in the provider community who have concerns about the administrative burdens they face in the years ahead. We are committing to work with the provider community to reexamine the pace at which HHS and the nation implement these important improvements to our health care system.”
    ICD-10 codes provide more robust and specific data that will help improve patient care and enable the exchange of our health care data with that of the rest of the world that has long been using ICD-10. Entities covered under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) will be required to use the ICD-10 diagnostic and procedure codes.
    Keep Up to Date on Version 5010 and ICD-10.
    Please visit the ICD-10 website for the latest news and resources to help you prepare, and to download and share the implementation widget today!
    Pam Brooks, MHA, COC, PCS, CPC, AAPC Fellow
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

Well, this indeed is big news, but I'm guessing a lot of will not be surprised by this announcement! ---Suzanne E. Byrum CPC

I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this news. Relieved? Frustrated? No feelings one way or the other?

Where I work, we are diligently preparing for the transition, so a significant delay for us is very frustrating.

Michelle Hanson, CPC
    Last edited by mhanson1; 06-01-2012 at 05:53 PM.

Default My $0.02
    First one is mock surprise - gee, it's an election year and one of the biggest specialty groups is putting up a fight over a regulation. Better make sure they are happy and will vote and continue to contribute to our campaigns!

Second one and a little more serious - I want to find out what the certain types of providers are that will be provided the extension. Is this going to be played out where smaller practices get a delay while bigger ones don't, much like HIPAA implementation? Is it a matter of only a few days or weeks (such as a 60 or 90 day delay) or a more significant time frame?

As I am in a transition phase and am currently not up to speed yet on my new employer's ICD-10 progress, I don't know if this will be a positive or negative for them, but I do feel for all those providers of all sizes who have invested millions of dollars and man-hours to be ready, only to see it all for naught because of a few whiners.

Lance Smith, MPA, COC, CPMA, CEMC, RHIT, CCS-P, CHC, CHPC

Director, Health Information Management
    HealthAlliance of the Hudson Valley
    Kingston, NY

2016 Secretary
    Ellenville, NY Local Chapter

I can't say that I am surprised by this either. It seems like there is always delays with anything to do with the government.
    Susie Corrado, CPC

Lance,
    I agree with your questions of who it will affect and for how long. Also, how long before they let us know? Many have paid for and signed contracts for educational products and consultants which they will still have to pay for and if it is extended too long will be absolutely useless. And what about those that have quit jobs to take consulting positions and/or education/training positions? Many unanswered questions and they need to give everyone a hint of when we will know and what we should do in the meantime.
    LeeAnn

Note the reference to President Obama. I bet he doesn't even know what ICD-10 is, and someone thinks it might be fun to indirectly involve him with the AMA's arm-wrestling with CMS's decision. Never saw that one coming. Sorry, I'm disgusted with election year mudfights, so thought I'd join in. Just an observation-- so hold your fire, please .

Lance, I also noted the verbiage "certain healthcare entities". I wait with bated breath........
    Pam Brooks, MHA, COC, PCS, CPC, AAPC Fellow
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

Default No worry
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam Brooks View Post
    Note the reference to President Obama. I bet he doesn't even know what ICD-10 is, and someone thinks it might be fun to indirectly involve him with the AMA's arm-wrestling with CMS's decision. Never saw that one coming. Sorry, I'm disgusted with election year mudfights, so thought I'd join in. Just an observation-- so hold your fire, please .

Lance, I also noted the verbiage "certain healthcare entities". I wait with bated breath........
    Pam, I am with you 100% on the political mudslinging and the reference to President Obama on practically every issue. No firing from here!

Lance Smith, MPA, COC, CPMA, CEMC, RHIT, CCS-P, CHC, CHPC

Director, Health Information Management
    HealthAlliance of the Hudson Valley
    Kingston, NY

2016 Secretary
    Ellenville, NY Local Chapter

I'm also very interested in the who/when of this decision, as in like you all have said, who is "certain covered entities" and how much of a delay. This leaves a lot of us and our practices in limbo at the moment... oh politics!
    Annemarie Lincoln, CPC
    Richmond, VA

I like the "certain entities" statement also. The government is going to complicate it even more if they pick and choose who does ICD -10 for awhile. Not to mention the cost involved. Much easier to let us all go at once. But what do I know - lol!
    Susie Corrado, CPC

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast