I have been coding academic centers for the last 4 years now and the rules are pretty simple really. CMS really is the only one that has true guidance on the rules and regs. Here are a couple resources issued by CMS that really break it down for you.
The biggest thing I can emphasize to you is
1 - The physician MUST oversee the resident and be physically present for any services that the resident provides and must indicate such in the patients medical records for each qualifying service (something such as "I, docs name, was present, oversaw, reviewed and agreed with the residents treatment of this patient"
2 - When coded and submitted a GC modifier must be appended.
If you need anything or have any questions you can always ask..... it isn't as overwhelming as it seems.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join