AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Primary/Assistant surgery claims

Default Primary/Assistant surgery claims

AAPC: Back to School
    I know this sounds crazy, but can someone guide me to the documentation stating I cannot bill a primary surgeon and an assistant surgeon on the same claim. I bill for a group of Ob/gyns and very commonly they assist one another. We bill under the same NPI and tax id. I cannot find ANY documentation stating they cannot be billed on the same claim. I bill each line appropriately with the correct physician listed and a modifier 80 on the assist but priority health is telling me this comes up against a new edit. I cannot find this edit anywhere!! Please help.

I am going to throw this out there for you as just a thought -- I am not in your situation and don't know more than what I see here - this is just similar to something my office came across once (different carrier though)

Maybe it is the fact that you are using the 80 mod - they may be looking for the 62 mod.... look at this link - there is a link on there for the 80 modifier too.

Also some CPT codes are not eligible for reimbursement for the co-surgeon. Check this website to see if your CPT can be billed with either modifier.

When the rep is telling you that "they can't be billed on the same claim" he/she may be referring to the procedure.

On the same hand insurances are implementing new things all the time. Here is one resource that I found as well that may help!

Sorry I couldn't be more help!

Similar Threads

1. Primary and Assistant Surgeon Question...
    By Jhannyn in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 09:06 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-17-2012, 09:41 AM
  3. Assistant Surgery billing as Primary surgeon
    By misbell in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 12:25 PM
  4. Primary & Assistant Surgeon
    By CoderChick24 in forum General Surgery