AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Billing On Q pain catheter and nerve blocks

Default Billing On Q pain catheter and nerve blocks

AAPC: Back to School
    My thoracic surgeons almost always perform a nerve block and/or insert the on Q pain cath for pain management during thorascopic procedures. I know Medicare bundles these with the main procedures. What are others experience in billing private payors for these services? I don't want to unbundle but the surgeons want the charges submitted because of the extra work involved with these. THOUGHT? SUGGESTIONS?

Boise, Idaho

Pain control done by the surgeon performing the procedure is included in the price of the surgery.

I agree with above, pain management by the surgeon is included in the global. I've been told by my surgeons that this isn't much work and takes like 3 minutes to do (and I have heard others surgeons at the STS say the same thing). You would need to bill with an unlisted code, if billing a private payer, and it would require follow-up on your part so the documentation must be clear about what was done and why it was medically necessary.

I don't bill anyone for these myself.

Lisi, CPC

Similar Threads

1. Post Operative Pain Nerve Blocks
    By lcole7465 in forum Anesthesia
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2015, 11:15 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2014, 07:59 AM
  3. Billing for Nerve Blocks
    By tvaughn in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 0