The doctors are admitting the patients to the hospital with an inital OBS code-99220, followed by OBS sub. visit codes- 99214. Two or three days later, they change the status to an Inpatient code-99222 or 99223. I have been told by the practice manager the Inpatient and OBS codes can't be mixed on a continuous hospital visit, so I am having to go back and change the OBS admit and OBS sub visit codes to an Inpatient admit-99223 and an inpatient sub visit code-99232. Is this correct? Does the level of severity on the OBS codes stay the same on the Inpatient codes? Example: 99220 same as 99223; 99214 same as 99232. Also if an OBS admit stays less then 23 hours, it must be changed to an admit/discharge same day-99235. How do I determine the level of severity, by the H&P or the D/C summary.
Thanks for your help.
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Software / Digital
- Code Lookup (AAPC Coder)
- Practicode (online coding simulation)
- E/M Analyzer
- CPT RVU Calculator
- Health Plan Search (Provider Policies)
- Book Store
- Log In / Join