I am new to pain management/anesthesia coding and am confused about the coding of urine drug tests done in our office on patient's prior to being prescribed pain meds. The lab tech does a urine "dip" qualitative drug screening test that tests for 12 different classes of drugs. Our office is billing 80101x12 units for all insurances except for Medicare, which is billed as G0434-QW x1 unit. The charge differences in these is huge. The urine sample is also being sent to an outside lab (Ameritox) to "confirm" test results and they are apparently billing the patient's insurance for the test also.. this sooo does not sound right to me.. does anyone have any input? Thanks!
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join