Thread: ICD-10-CM date proposed by CMS: October 1, 2011

Temple, TX

Default ICD-10-CM training

AAPC: Back to School
    Thanks so much for your reply.
    The Oracle

Swainsboro/Statesboro, GA

Default ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS

I am also in support of the 2011 proposed implementation date for ICD-10. I read as much info as I could locate prior to commenting to CMS. I discussed the proposed rule with coworkers throughout my facility and in other professional circles. While there are definitely components in the proposed rule that need refining, the implementation date itself was not something other professional organizations opposed. In addition, while CMS will read all the comments submitted to them on any proposed rule, it is very unlikely that the same comment letter recevied over and over and over again will carry much weight.

I feel CMS provided Coders with a great compliment, estimating about 5 days for us to become educated and proficient in ICD-10! I believe CMS recognizes our committment to coding and our abilities to continuing learning and growing in our field.

I do understand the concerns of the physicians, with other regulation implementations also being due in or around the same time frame, but these are issues hospitals and other healthcare providers have faced for years. OPPS in August 2000 was huge for hospitals, as was the implentation of DRG's back in the 1980's. There are times when healthcare requires big changes. ICD-10 is just another one of those times.

You bet!
    Quote Originally Posted by RUB View Post
    Jason, Excellently stated and thanks!
    Jason Steeprow, CPC

Default Another questions re ICD-10

Do we need to take another test to be certified fro ICD-10?

Details are still being worked out, but in order to maintain continued employer confidence in the CPC® credential and a certified coder’s ability to code “current” code sets, AAPC will open a window of time (probably two years, and beginning one year prior to the final implementation date) for CPCs to pass an un-proctored, open book, and online 50-75 question test that focuses on ICD-10-CM and other new codes. The test will be low-cost and provide multiple opportunities to pass.

Smile 1cd 10

Hello I would like to know if there will be a ICD -10 prep class to prepare for the test

AAPC is offering 1-2 day Boot Camps across the country; they also have online recordings to help prepare. They also have a practice assessment you can purchase.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12