HELP! Q code for an Anti-emetic Infusion

Default HELP! Q code for an Anti-emetic Infusion
    Medical Coding Books
    Medicare is requiring us to bill out our INFUSION of an anti-emetic (given with chemotherapy) as a Q code. Unfortunatly i can only locate a Q code for ORAL administration. Any suggestions???

Thanks for your PROMPT help

-Dani
    Danielle Kiehl

Not my area of expertise but have you looked at J8597?

Ohh...wait-you needed a Q code. I'll see what I can find if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Let me try this again...have you looked at Q0163-Q0181?
    Last edited by RebeccaWoodward*; 08-18-2008 at 02:45 PM.

Unfortunatley all of the descriptions specifically state ORAL. That is my conundrum.
    Danielle Kiehl

Wow...how did I miss that??????

I'll keep looking. Hopefully someone else has some insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillie2003 View Post
    Medicare is requiring us to bill out our INFUSION of an anti-emetic (given with chemotherapy) as a Q code. Unfortunatly i can only locate a Q code for ORAL administration. Any suggestions???

Thanks for your PROMPT help

-Dani
    Just a thought - has your carrier changed recently? We have found that our new carrier is requesting some really odd coding and have to take it to a higher level to get things straightened out. Sometimes they processed it wrong (hard to believe...)
    Lisa Bledsoe, CPC, CPMA

I wonder if you're going to have to go with the Q0081 code for the IV anti-emetic. (but it's not allowed to be billed with more than one unit per visit)-I can't find another Qcode for IV anti-emetic - all the others ones seem to be a oral now, a "substitute" for the IV.
    {that's my opinion on the posted matter}
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

I hope these codes work for you; this is not my area of expertise-

Q0177 Hydroxyzine pamoate, 25 mg, oral, FDA approved prescription anti-emetic, for use as a complete therapeutic substitute for an IV anti-emetic at the time of chemotherapy treatment, not to exceed a 48-hour dosage regimen

Q0178 Hydroxyzine pamoate, 50 mg, oral, FDA approved prescription anti-emetic, for use as a complete therapeutic substitute for an IV anti-emetic at the time of chemotherapy treatment, not to exceed a 48-hour dosage regimen

Q0164 Prochlorperazine maleate, 5 mg, oral, FDA approved prescription anti-emetic, for use as a complete therapeutic substitute for an IV anti-emetic at the time of chemotherapy treatment, not to exceed a 48-hour dosage regimen

Q0165 Prochlorperazine maleate, 10 mg, oral, FDA approved prescription anti-emetic, for use as a complete therapeutic substitute for an IV anti-emetic at the time of chemotherapy treatment, not to exceed a 48-hour dosage regimen

Q0166 Granisetron HCl, 1 mg, oral, FDA approved prescription anti-emetic, for use as a complete therapeutic substitute for an IV anti-emetic at the time of chemotherapy treatment, not to exceed a 24-hour dosage regimen

Q0167 Dronabinol, 2.5 mg, oral, FDA approved prescription anti-emetic, for use as a complete therapeutic substitute for an IV anti-emetic at the time of chemotherapy treatment, not to exceed a 48-hour dosage regimen

Q0168 Dronabinol, 5 mg, oral, FDA approved prescription anti-emetic, for use as a complete therapeutic substitute for an IV anti-emetic at the time of chemotherapy treatment, not to exceed a 48-hour dosage regimen

Q0169 Promethazine HCl, 12.5 mg, oral, FDA approved prescription anti-emetic, for use as a complete therapeutic substitute for an IV anti-emetic at the time of chemotherapy treatment, not to exceed a 48-hour dosage regimen

Q0170 Promethazine HCl, 25 mg, oral, FDA approved prescription anti-emetic, for use as a complete therapeutic substitute for an IV anti-emetic at the time of chemotherapy treatment, not to exceed a 48-hour dosage regimen

Q0171 Chlorpromazine HCl, 10 mg, oral, FDA approved prescription anti-emetic, for use as a complete therapeutic substitute for an IV anti-emetic at the time of chemotherapy treatment, not to exceed a 48-hour dosage regimen

Q0172 Chlorpromazine HCl, 25 mg, oral, FDA approved prescription anti-emetic, for use as a complete therapeutic substitute for an IV anti-emetic at the time of chemotherapy treatment, not to exceed a 48-hour dosage regimen

Q0173 Trimethobenzamide HCl, 250 mg, oral, FDA approved prescription anti-emetic, for use as a complete therapeutic substitute for an IV anti-emetic at the time of chemotherapy treatment, not to exceed a 48-hour dosage regimen

Q0174 Thiethylperazine maleate, 10 mg, oral, FDA approved prescription anti-emetic, for use as a complete therapeutic substitute for an IV anti-emetic at the time of chemotherapy treatment, not to exceed a 48-hour dosage regimen

Q0175 Perphenzaine, 4 mg, oral, FDA approved prescription anti-emetic, for use as a complete therapeutic substitute for an IV anti-emetic at the time of chemotherapy treatment, not to exceed a 48-hour dosage regimen

Q0179 Ondansetron HCl 8 mg, oral, FDA approved prescription anti-emetic, for use as a complete therapeutic substitute for an IV anti-emetic at the time of chemotherapy treatment, not to exceed a 48-hour dosage regimen

Q0180 Dolasetron mesylate, 100 mg, oral, FDA approved prescription anti-emetic, for use as a complete therapeutic substitute for an IV anti-emetic at the time of chemotherapy treatment, not to exceed a 24-hour dosage regimen

Thank you all for your help, that just confirms my first thought that there are not Q codes for INFUSIONS of anti-emetics.

Thanks again
    Danielle Kiehl