We are treating a patient with Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) in the upper extremitiy. Our physician has performed a total of 8 digital nerve blocks (64450). We are billing a commercial carrier and are torn on how to bill this. When we bill 64450 in quantity of 8, the carrier is only paying for one of them. When we bill line by line (with 64450 listed 8 times) with modifier 51 (carrier allows) on lines 2-8,the carrier is paying line 1 and denying the rest as duplicates. We are hesitant to apply modifier 59 on lines 2-8, but seems that is the only way he gets paid for the add'l injections.
Anyone else encounter this?? Should our physician only get paid for 1 injection??
Any help is greatly appreciated
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Software / Digital
- Code Lookup (AAPC Coder)
- Practicode (online coding simulation)
- E/M Analyzer
- CPT RVU Calculator
- Health Plan Search (Provider Policies)
- Book Store
- Log In / Join