Q: Can I use 96116 to report a MMSE?
A: A mini-mental status exam can be part of the Neurobehavioral testing, though a mini-mental status exam by itself is not reportable using 96116. Mini-mental status exams, when done without additional Neurobehavioral testing, are considered part of the evaluation and management service and should be reported with the appropriate E&M code. When the MMSE is done as part of more extensive Neurobehavioral testing as described above, you may report 96116.
I came across this site. I cut and past this Q & A from there. This may help or reference the site yourself.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join