06-09-2017, 12:50 AM | Community Wiki

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

What is the starting - I understand

1. Default What is the starting - I understand
    Medical Coding Books
    I understand it's dependent on geographic factors. However, I am wondering what the starting wage of a medical coder is.

Thanks.

EDIT: can someone delete this thread. It just didn't go in the direction I had hoped.

I would just do a google search. SO much of it varies by not only location. I know that is not the answer you want but consider not only geographics, but responsibilities, some will bill, code and do collections. Some may just code. Some will code for a large corporation, a billing company, or hospital. How much other experience do you have in medical billing. What other credentials may you have, etc. Unfortunately that is a loaded question. I believe the AAPC has this broken down by average by regions based on experience you can look at as well. Look under resources in the blue banner on top of this page under the AAPC logo whjich is the 7th one from the left. A drop down should appear and select under resources Medical coding salary. Hope this helps a little.

3. Default
    The survey gave me an average after 10 years

Could I start off making 17 an hour.

No tin utah they start off about 13-14 dollars per hour here and go up to about 22 depending on experience of course higher if you have bachelors or masters.
    Jenifer McPolin CPC, CPMA, RCC

5. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcpolin View Post
    No tin utah they start off about 13-14 dollars per hour here and go up to about 22 depending on experience of course higher if you have bachelors or masters.
    Can the bachelors be in anything? That sounds REALLY low. My teacher told me 16 dollars an hour on the low end. I now feel like my investment has been a waste.

Edit: from reading these boards. A lot of false promises are given within this field.

6. Default
    just want to say I am highly disappointed.

Well I think what coders should be making here in Utah and what they are making are 2 different things. I have 15 years experience but no degree. I think here in Utah degrees are really important to people especially in management.

8. Default Coder Salary
    Unfortunately, the going rate seems be starting around $11-12 per hour and topping out at about 18/hr. I, too was misled in the amount of money one could make coding. We were promised all the great and wonderful travel opportunities and working for companies at home and making $50-75/ hr doing this. Ok, IF they are there, I haven't been able to find them. Believe me, I have tried.

9. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by lynne4bama View Post
    Unfortunately, the going rate seems be starting around $11-12 per hour and topping out at about 18/hr. I, too was misled in the amount of money one could make coding. We were promised all the great and wonderful travel opportunities and working for companies at home and making $50-75/ hr doing this. Ok, IF they are there, I haven't been able to find them. Believe me, I have tried.
    Wow, this is exceptionally depressing

So, all this liability is going to be placed on me on this job? Why wouldn't I just work retail?

Edit:I would not work a job for 10-12 an hour when I can make that doing retail....

http://kp.taleo.net/careersection/ex...=en&job=497440

that job pays 22-25 an hour with 3 years of experience.
    Last edited by school_email12345@yahoo.com; 03-14-2012 at 04:05 PM.

That job you posted seems like a good one, there are some employeres out there that appreciate the experience and knowledge some just want to save money.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast