I am being told by a healthplan that "neuropathy" should be coded to 355.9- Mononeuropathy.
I have always coded "neuropathy" as 356.9.
If you look up neuropathy in any dictionary, it states something to the note of " damage to the peripheral nervous system. I have always believed that "neuropathy" was synonymous to peripheral neuropathy, and that was my justification as such. Mononeuropathy just seems to specific to be the ICD-9 for such a broad term as "neuropathy".
I can not find anything that says otherwise anywhere. Any thoughts?
- Medical Coding
- Medical Billing
- Practice Management
- Exam Preparation
- Other Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Software / Digital
- Code Lookup (AAPC Coder)
- Virtual Coding Experience (Practicode)
- E/M Analyzer
- CPT RVU Calculator
- Health Plan Search (Provider Policies)
- Log In / Join