If your physician's TOTAL face-to-face time over the period of observation adds up to 30 minutes or more, you could bill the level 3 E/M as per the bullet points, AND then prolonged service 99354 (30-74 minutes over and above the E/M).
Physician's documentation should include the basic bullets points for the level of E/M AND a statement along the lines of: I spent an additional 30 minutes of direct prolonged service with the patient monitoring response to Tx for acute allergic reaction.
The time does not have to be continuous but can be cumulative over the observation period.
2008 CPT Professional edition pg 28-29 gives the guidelines etc for the prolonged service codes.
Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join