20160430 - Save up to 35% on Everything You Need to Get Certified | Learn More

Thread: ICD-10 and HCC Coding for Risk Adjustment

Default ICD-10 and HCC Coding for Risk Adjustment

With all the changes from day to day, I am sure the topic is hush hush for a reason, but I thought I would take a stab at asking. Has anyone found materials supporting the changes to be expected with Hierarchical Condition Categories with regard to ICD-10? I have heard that DRGs have been tasked for investigation in approximately 2015 but I am wondering if anyone has found articles or proposals by CMS on their risk adjustment system for Medicare Advantage plans.

I haven't seen anything. I wouldn't suppose that there will be much info for a while since the first recalculation using the ICD-10s won't happen until July 2015.
    Sherry Miller, MBA/HCM, CPC, CEMC
    Epic Management, LP

Default National Conference

I just got back from AAPC national conference and this very question was asked. The speaker had come to the same conclusion that nothing has been mentioned. I honestly don't think too much will happen. ICD-10 is about being very specific to the coding there won’t be much in unspecific codes. I don’t think there will be much of an impact. They just put out this afternoon that the push back for ICD-10 is now 2014. I think in 2014 that when we will know.

Thank you for your insight, I am on the same page. I plan to do the mapping/cross walking of the current 3000+ I9s as they relate to the I10s in the 70 medical HCCs with the hopes that we will be able to use a mapping tool of sorts to do the bulk of the work. If anyone else has insight or if data is found please feel free to share, and I will do the same.
    Regards!
    Dawn Peterson
    Coding Consultant/Billing and Coding Instructor
    Illinois, USA

Professional Coders of Central Pennsylvania (PCOCPA), Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

I attended a Risk Adjustment conference 2 weeks ago and asked the CMS presenter about this. I was told that they are still in process with reviewing; that the mapping/crosswalking will require significant clinical, as well as significant coding, consideration.
    Jennifer (Jenny) M. Oravecz, CPC
    Past Vice President/Education Officer (2012/2011) of Professional Coders of Central Pennsylvania (PCOCPA), Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    Past President/President-Elect (2009/2008) of Professional Coders of Tidewater, Chesapeake, Virginia

At the Coordination and Maintenance Meeting, it was said that since the DRGs were recently converted to MS-DRGs (a couple of years ago), that they would most likely wait two years (after implementation of I-10) and review the data before upgrading the MS-DRGs. Remember too, that CMS is two years behind when reviewing data.

Hope this helps!!
    Last edited by mmorningstarcpc; 04-26-2012 at 06:39 AM.
    Machelle Morningstar, CPC, CPC-H, CEMC, COSC

Default Hcc & icd10

Great Information - very much appreciated - Thank you

Claudine
    Claudine Rosson, CPC, CPC-I
    Clinical Quality Analyst, SR
    Lifeprint Health