When our general surgeons open for Orthopaedics or another service, the surgery is billed using the code for the procedure with -62 modifier on each surgeon's bill (Co-surgery). Each surgeon dictates his/her own operative note listing the other surgeon as co-surgeon, and detailing his/her participation in the case.
E.g. an Anterior spinal fusion (lumbar), where general surgery does the opening/closing
Billed as 22558-62 for Orthopaedic surgeon
Billed as 22558-62 for General surgeon
The instrumentation, etc codes are applied ONLY to the Ortho (or Neuro) surgeon
You must use the same procedure code that the Ortho or Neuro surgeon is using, so you'll need to check with that surgeon's coding staff to verify the code.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join