Unfortunately, there isn't clear cut answer aside from there's Pre-Op E/M reimbursed with the screening codes (0 day global or XXX - included in another service). I'd suggested billing an E/M only if you can justify Mod -25 as separate and distinct; in addition, I'd make sure you can justify medical necessity for doing such an exam. If you can justify both, bill it. If not, well, don't.
I understand it's not Medicare but I've added the link for CMS' Preventive Services manual(too big to attach) as it might help. It doesn't directly answer your question for colonoscopies but answers it for other Preventive Services which should have the same policy.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join