AAPC - Back to school

Thread: CT with/without Contrast...Help please

Daytona Beach

Default CT with/without Contrast...Help please

AAPC: Back to School
    I would like some feedback. I have been hesitant to code procedures as titled with contrast unless it clearly dictates the contrast in the body of the report. I am being told: since the documentation is from the provider and they are stating that when a procedure is done with contrast or infusion that it is done intravenously. Since the documentation comes from the provider there is no need to have them clarify the contrast issues. When a report states in the header that a CT was done with and with out infusion for example, we are okay to code it that way. What are the thoughts out there?
    Last edited by kkonkle; 08-29-2008 at 05:19 AM.
    Kathleen Konkle, CPC

Duluth, Minnesota

if the report states that the procedure was done with infusion - then yes, I'd code it as such. If it states it was done without infustion, then I'd code it that way. So in short,...yes to what you asked: "When a report states in the header that a CT was done with and with out infusion for example, we are okay to code it that way." --- yes I would, because it states whether it was or not (done with infusion)
    {that's my opinion on the posted matter}
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

I agree with Donna.

My understanging is when the report says INFUSION it "means injection fluid through intravenous".So we can take it as CT Abdomen with and without infusion as 74170.For abdomen and pelvis CT the document should specify the intravenous contrast, then only it should be eligible to code for contrast. Oral contrat was not considered......

HariHaran CPC