The note under 079 in the tabular section states "This category is provided to be used as an additional code to identify the viral agent in diseases classifiable elsewhere. This category will also be used to classify virus infection of unspecified nature or site."
To me, this means that 079.X codes are not stand-alone codes and are only secondary to another ICD-9 code.
If I have a requisition from a doctor (signed by the doctor) that lists the patient's diagnosis as V72.31, 079.4 or V76.2, 079.4....Is this correct coding? Or should there be another code inbetween the V72.31 and the 079.4 to identify the "disease classifiable elsewhere"?
- Medical Coding
- Medical Billing
- Practice Management
- Exam Preparation
- Other Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Software / Digital
- Code Lookup (AAPC Coder)
- Virtual Coding Experience (Practicode)
- E/M Analyzer
- CPT RVU Calculator
- Health Plan Search (Provider Policies)
- Log In / Join