Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

ED Speciality Exam

Red face
    Medical Coding Books
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1231 View Post
    I also found the CEDC study guide pretty helpful. It can be found on the AAPC web site and is reasonably priced at least compared with those boot camps.
    I thought the test was challenging but overall fair. For about 90% of the test you code charts. And there are a few general questions. If you have the 95 guidelines down as they apply to ED vists and understand common ED procedures, you should be OK.

Jim Strafford CEDC MCS-P

Jim, I am signed up to take the AAPC practicum for the and audio seminars for the CEDC exam. When I read the overview it states that when you take the CEDC specialty exam you "are permitted to take up to 50 forms with you into the exam". What forms would you recommend that I take? I am starting with the Marshfield audit tool and I was hoping to take a copy of the 95/97 guidelines. Is that permitted or do they mean other types of forms? If not, what types of forms do they mean? Thanks in advance for your help...

Question Re: CEDC
    i am taking it in december, that also confused me. Any clarification by those who took it this year would be helpful to us getting ready to sit for it.
    Pat A. Trautner, CCS/CPC/CEDC/CHONC

3. Red face CDcoder
    I am taking the CEDC exam tomorrow, and I am very nervous, but you can take a copy of both the 95 and 97 guidelines, a medical dictionary and of course you CPT, ICD-9, and HCPCS with you. They do say that you can take a reference book of your choice. I would like to have taken the Ingenix coding companion, but didn't have time to get one by the time I thought of it.

Well, wish me luck. I'll let you know what I thought of it on Monday

Default Cedc
    HI GUYS
    I am also preparing for CEDC exam , in the AAPC web site the practicum is available do you mean to say that or any other study material is available
    , i had searched for that study material , but i found only online practicum
    SAMSON

5. Default 50 Forms
    Sorry about the delay on the reply. I also saw the thing about 50 forms. When I took the test all they allowed were the CPT and ICD-9 book and the Marshfield tool. I had only brought one form and the ED Ingenix coding book in addition to the above which they wouldn't allow. I thought about making an issue of it, but didn't. I passed the exam, but not having those two references cost me a few correct answers, I think.
    I took the cEDC in June. Maybe that issue has been clarified formore recent exams?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1231 View Post
    Sorry about the delay on the reply. I also saw the thing about 50 forms. When I took the test all they allowed were the CPT and ICD-9 book and the Marshfield tool. I had only brought one form and the ED Ingenix coding book in addition to the above which they wouldn't allow. I thought about making an issue of it, but didn't. I passed the exam, but not having those two references cost me a few correct answers, I think.
    I took the cEDC in June. Maybe that issue has been clarified formore recent exams?
    I finally figured it out and then I felt kind of stupid. They meant that you can bring 50 copies of the audit tool so that you may re-use them as you go. I am going to bring the dictionary with me, I guess, because the other references that I want to bring are all on the "can't have" list.
    I did want to ask you, though, about the test. It says to study for incident-to billing and other things such as time based coding and a lot of that doesn't have much to do with ER coding as clinical coding, so I was just wondering how much of that stuff is actually on the exam? Should I focus more on coding charts? I code ER's every day so I am not sure how much more I should do. Any advice??

Default re: specialty exam
    not sure when you are taking it, i just passed, i took it on december 20. the proctor was going to let me have all the documentation guidelines, i used the ingenix emergency coding companion, also my regular coding books, it is all based on coding and coding guidelines, if you are strong on both, you should do well.

Quote Originally Posted by ptrautner View Post
    not sure when you are taking it, i just passed, i took it on december 20. the proctor was going to let me have all the documentation guidelines, i used the ingenix emergency coding companion, also my regular coding books, it is all based on coding and coding guidelines, if you are strong on both, you should do well.
    You were allowed to have the ingenix coding companion? I thought that was a big no-no? If not, then I think maybe I'll get one before my test. If I bring that, does that mean no dictionary?
    P.S. I love your avatar...so cute!!

i would assume one not both, i was told one other source, i don't think a dictionary is as helpful as the coding companion, which i honestly hardly used. i used more the cpt/icd-9 books than the companion. i have not read anywhere it is disallowed. hope that helps.

Default ER CEDC exam
    For the exam, you will need to know how to code them based on what the question asks.

It is a rare ED that charges for the IM or IV. EKG's are based on the contracted agreements with the cardiologists in the area. The test does not take this issue into account.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast