Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ED Speciality Exam

Default ED Speciality Exam
    Medical Coding Books
    Does anyone know if any resources (CPT, ICD) can be used during the test? I have the study guide, but it really wasn't what I was expecting. I know coding is not black and white, but what I was really wanting was actual case studies. Our ED seems to be doing alot more complicated procedures lately and I would have liked being able to compare our notes to experts. Thanks!

2. Default QA Coordinator
    Yes you can use the current edition of ICD - 9 and CPT books, I am surprised that you did not find the study guide helpful. I have taken the test which consist of 3 different sections, you need to pass each section to pass the exam if you miss one section (I did) then you need to retake the complete test again. I was going to buy the book but know I am having my doubts.

3. Default Emergency Room Coding
    Hi I am studying for the ER coding exam as well. I was wanting to know in ER coding do you pick up all of the medications given IM or IV? Can you also pick up EKG? Any information would help. thanks

I took the exam when it first came out. I have had years experience in ER coding and bought the study guide. Despite that it was still difficult. Just study your exam guide and make sure your are confident in what you code. Always think of ways to support your codes.
    Coding Junkie

5. Default
    Please post appropriate repair code: intermediate, complex?

2.5 cm laceration of rt hand, was moderately debrided according to provider and sutured.

Quote Originally Posted by Heather1968 View Post
    Hi I am studying for the ER coding exam as well. I was wanting to know in ER coding do you pick up all of the medications given IM or IV? Can you also pick up EKG? Any information would help. thanks
    In our ED we do charge the IM's and IV's, but we do not charge for the EKG's. The ED physicians have an agreement with the Cardiologists to let them charge for the EKG's since they do the final reading.

7. Default Maria....
    Would you be interested in............

I sent you a private message with e-mail, phone, etc.

Hi,
    I just started an ED coding position. I would like to pursue the CEDC as well. Where did you find the CEDC study guide and were you successful in locating any other helpful info in preparing for the exam? Please help. Thank you in advance...GW

Quote Originally Posted by chaser1 View Post
    Please post appropriate repair code: intermediate, complex?

2.5 cm laceration of rt hand, was moderately debrided according to provider and sutured.
    i would give it an intermediate repair
    Pat A. Trautner, CCS/CPC/CEDC/CHONC

10. Default Cedc
    I also found the CEDC study guide pretty helpful. It can be found on the AAPC web site and is reasonably priced at least compared with those boot camps.
    I thought the test was challenging but overall fair. For about 90% of the test you code charts. And there are a few general questions. If you have the 95 guidelines down as they apply to ED vists and understand common ED procedures, you should be OK.

Jim Strafford CEDC MCS-P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast