HPV Dx

Default HPV Dx
    Medical Coding Books
    Can anyone tell me what dx they use for HPV vaccine? I can't gt Medicaid to cover any dx I give them and then pt is within the guidelines. Thanks
    adrianne, cpc

We use V04.89 - and of course we add the .SL modifier on the 90649 - (it's a free vaccine/ state supplied).
    {that's my opinion on the posted matter}
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

I've already tried that code and they denied it V04.89 as well.
    adrianne, cpc

is it state supplied? (like ours - MN). if so, it's "free" and needs the .SL modifier on it -
    what's the denial reason?
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

no, it's not state supplied....denial reason is, dx not compatable w/ procedure code. I'm at a loss.
    adrianne, cpc

what about V05.9?
    adrianne, cpc

I'd say no - not V05.9 - that's for a "single" disease - HPV helps protect against 4 different types of HPV.
    I say V04.89 is correct - we've never had a problem with it. but again, for Medicaid & PMAP's it's free - so we don't get paid because the State provides the immunization. For regular insurances we don't have a problem.
    {that's my opinion on the posted matter}
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

actually looking at the claim again, i had already used v05. anyway. I agree w/ v04.89. since we get paid for it, i'll appeal. this is why i hate OB
    adrianne, cpc

HI-
    I do primarily all OBGYN coding and we use the 90649 with diagnosis v04.89 and it gets paid.

also we had to send in the pharmacy invoice for the drug itself at the beginning. If you can get one I would suggest making copies and trying to send that in with it.
    -Casey