Providing an interpreter whether hearing imparied, or a foreign language is required by federal law. This is required of the practice to supply the service. I know of no insurance company that reimburses this. It is a requirement of the medical practice to provide the interpreter for quality care. It is not a responsibility that falls back to the insurance carrier.
For foreign languages, I would check out the "Langauge Line". They charge a very small yearly fee to be a member and then you are only charged a per minute rate when you actually use them, based on the difficulty of the language needed. For sign langauge interpreters, you really just have to look locally for the best price and negotiate a deal with someone. You do not have to use the interpreter a patient brings if you can provide them the same service (since you are paying for it either way). Also you should keep in mind that sometimes patients have relatives or friends with them that could violate HIPAA, not to mention cultural norms in some places where it would be inappropriate to speak about one family members health in front of another. Also, if you have an employee who can interpret, this is usually not recommended as then you are in a risk situation where you are now responsible for an accurate interpreter personally. Hope this helps. All of these are usually lost money for any practice.
- ICD-10 Training
- Exam Preparation
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Code Lookup with AAPC Coder
- Coding Data Files
- ICD-9 to ICD-10 Code Converter (FREE)
- Other ICD-10 Codes / Resources
- CPT Codes
- HCPCS Codes
- E/M Analyzer (FREE)
- CPT RVU Calculator (FREE)
- Risk Adjustment Search (FREE)
- PQRS Measure Search (FREE)
- Health Plan / Provider Policy Search (FREE)
- MACRA Calculator
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join