status post vs history

1. Default status post vs history
    Medical Coding Books
    Pls confirm the difference that exist in coding the scenarios of 1) status post CABG; 2) Surgical History of CABG.

Quote Originally Posted by ram View Post
    Pls confirm the difference that exist in coding the scenarios of 1) status post CABG; 2) Surgical History of CABG.
    Status is sequelae or residual of a condition or disease, something that may affect the course of a treatment, still being monitored.

History is a code that indicates the person no longer has the condition, not receiving any treatment, but may potentially have a recurrence.

I hope this helps, it is tricky...take a look at the guidelines, both are explained in there.
    Angie Olson, CPC

3. Default thanks
    thanks for the response. I expected the correct codes to be assigned. ok. let me suggest. V45.81 for status post CABG and V12.59 for history of CABG. Is this ok?

Yes, I think those are appropriate.
    Angie Olson, CPC

Also, you might check w/ your state quality review board or whatever it's called in your state - the entity contracted w/ Medicare to ensure correct coding. Here in Alabama it's AQAF - Alabama Quality Assurance Foundation.

AQAF has told us (facility coders) that whenever someone has had a CABG in their past - no matter the length of time - they want it coded this way:

V45.81

Hope this helps instead of muddying up the issue!

6. Smile
    V45.81 is the perfect code for Hx of CABG instead of V12.59 (this is only for disease conditions, not procedures)

7. Default
    Status is sequelae or residual of a condition or disease, something that may affect the course of a treatment, still being monitored.

History is a code that indicates the person no longer has the condition, not receiving any treatment, but may potentially have a recurrence.

Exactly this is correct but here for the CABG status and hx CABG V45.81 is enough..I too think so, since the other code mentioned V12.59 is for the disease of circulatory system not for the procedure.

Thara L CPC H

Status is not sequela. Sequela or residual is late effects such as a scar after a laceration repair. Status is that this condition currently exists. So status of CABG means that this procedure has been performed on this patient. History of a disease of the circulatory system indicates the patient has had a heart disease but no longer has it.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

9. Default
    Yes, sequela is not a status it's a late effect...Thanks for the correction Debra...

Thara L CPC H

10. Default
    then what is the correct code for "Coronary artery disease status post three vessel coronary artery bypass graft" :confused::confused::confused:

I25.10 & Z95.1 or I25.810. Please suggest ???