93000 is the "global"

Default 93000 is the "global"
    Medical Coding Books
    93000 is the "global" EKG - it's one report, it's used to report the "combined" technical and professional components of the EKG.

93005 - would require it's own report - technical side
    93010 - would require it's own report - professional side

{that's my opinion on the posted matter}
    Donna, CPC, CPC-H

2. Default
    I have a primary care physican who also does EKG's and bills for the professional component. I have always been told you need seperate documentation from the offive visit note for the EKG report. I am trying to find this documentation.

Quote Originally Posted by pdavis4 View Post
    I have a primary care physican who also does EKG's and bills for the professional component. I have always been told you need seperate documentation from the offive visit note for the EKG report. I am trying to find this documentation.
    If he is doing them on his own patients in his office while they are there for a problem that warrants an ekg, then it would be 93000, and I do not believe a seperate report is necessary.

I code for primary care docs that also read ekg's for hospital patient's, but are not performing the test themselves in the office. We charge the 93010 and they have to do their own interpretation of the ekg.

Hope this helps!
    Jeni Smith, CPC, CPMA

I work in Family practice and the providers often order EKG's in office and we use the 93000 CPT also. The providers don't create a separate document to report the findings. They incorporate the EKG in the office visit note along with the result and of course the initial reason.
    Jen RCC, CPC