I have a physician who removed and inserted an exactech interspace in a patient with an infected total knee arthroplasty.
He also performed a median parapatellar arthrotomy incision was made. synovectomy-excision of scar tissue was performed. exactech interspace was removed. Radical debridement and irrigation with antibiotics performed
I read in an AAOS Now Sep 07, that nonbiodegradable antibiotic- impregnanted cement spacer removal should be coded 11982 and the insertion 11981. The revision would be 11983.
Cpt 27310- Arthrotomy, knee, with exploration, drainage, or removal of foreign body (eg, infection)
CPT 11983 - Removal with reinsertion, non-biodegradable drug delivery implant
Does this seem correct? Any opinions or comments would be greatly appreciated.
- Medical Coding
- Medical Billing
- Practice Management
- Exam Preparation
- Other Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Software / Digital
- Code Lookup (AAPC Coder)
- Virtual Coding Experience (Practicode)
- E/M Analyzer
- CPT RVU Calculator
- Health Plan Search (Provider Policies)
- Log In / Join