AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Using Current Books

Question Using Current Books

AAPC: Back to School
    I'm hoping someone will be able to guide me in the right direction regarding regulations "requiring" the use of current Coding books in a physician practice. I've searched OIG, HHS, CMS, etc using Google to locate guidelines stating that (although common sense for us Coders), Physicians are "required" to use the current version of CPT and ICD-9 books. We are going electronic (Encoder Pro), and not all of our physicians are inclined to using the software and we, as the Coding Department would like to present that in order to remain compliant we MUST provide our Physicians with the current tools....

Well first I would point out that they might not be reimbursed correctly if the most up-to-date code is not used.

I'm not sure where to find something saying you have to use the most current codes. It just seems like such a given! If anywhere I would think CMS has something. I'll try searching.

Similar Threads

1. Current coding books
    By bearybubba2008 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-10-2013, 07:16 AM
  2. Do auditors check for current coding books?
    By truescaper in forum Auditing General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 02:30 PM