Well it might be a consult - is the bariatric surgeon really asking for the psychs opinion - or is it required by the patients insurance plan to get the bariatric surgery? Normally, we give the patient options for what psych doc they can go see - the patient makes the decision - which wouldn't be a consult.
For the dx, maybe go with pre-op - V72.84? or V70.2 - general psychiatric exam. If they are treated for the depression and bipolar at the visit, I'd code those as well. You'd probably have to add in 278.01 for the morbid obesity as well - since that's what the surgery is for.
- ICD-10 Training
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join