Coding Renal Disease

Default Coding Renal Disease
    Medical Coding Books
    Hi,

When coding renal diseases such as renal insuffiency or renal failure is it acceptable to also code the conditions such as: htn, hyperkalemia, proteinuria, renal artery stenosis, etc? Or are these conditions all implied under the main kidney disease code? I know that htn, dm and hyperkalemia are associated with chronic kidney disease and therefore not to be coded separately but what about when the doctor's diagnosis is renal insuffiency/failure?

Any input would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks!
    Last edited by nycoder; 09-19-2008 at 12:24 PM.

Default Renal disease
    Hi,
    I work for a general surgical practice that does renal surgery (fistulas, p-d catheters, etc.), so our practice does not routinely list other codes for the surgical coding. We often do for the initial consultation/new patient encounters.

However, my practice is associated with two nephrology practices - we all work for Samaritan Health Services. Both nephrology practices routinely code other conditions, such as anemia, htn, proteinuria, etc. We also have an internal medicine practice with a nephrologist; his coder codes other conditions with CKD as well.

I hope this is helpful to you,
    pat k

Quote Originally Posted by nycoder View Post
    Hi,

When coding renal diseases such as renal insuffiency or renal failure is it acceptable to also code the conditions such as: htn, hyperkalemia, proteinuria, renal artery stenosis, etc? Or are these conditions all implied under the main kidney disease code? I know that htn, dm and hyperkalemia are associated with chronic kidney disease and therefore not to be coded separately but what about when the doctor's diagnosis is renal insuffiency/failure?

Any input would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks!
    I work for a nephrology office & we code the conditions with the stage of renal failure. In some cases, such as HTN & diabetes, if they are the reason for the renal failure, you have to code both dx's. For example, if they have HTN, 403.10, you NEED to code 585.1-585.4 or 403.11 for 585.5-585.6.
    Hope I explained this right?!