I have a couple of physicians that bill almost exclusively on time.

Personally, I don't like it. One concern I have is being sure they can justify it in their schedules. If more time is billed than it appears was worked you have problems. I know of insurance companies that will have investigators sit and time patient in and out times at offices they suspect are billing for more time than is actually being spent with the patients.

Another concern is medical necessity. You can only bill for what is medically necessary and that is harder to justify with time. I have to tell my providers repeatedly that just because the patient was difficult and took longer doesn't mean you get to bill a higher level based on time. The time has to be spent actually counseling and coordinating care not just repeating the same thing over and over because they have a difficult patient for whatever reason, or the patient got into a political discussion with them, etc...

I don't think there is anything wrong will billing based on time if it is justified and supported by all the documentation. It just seems to me there are a lot of ducks to keep in a row and most providers are better off not billing on time all of the time!

Good luck,

Laura, CPC