Check the CME website. There are new policies going into effect in October re: audiologist needing to have their own NPI #
Audiologists Billing Medicare
April 29, 2008
As of October 1, 2008, Audiologists must report their NPI on claims for diagnostic test services. Currently some audiologists are reporting under the physicianâ€™s NPI rather than their own NPI.
On February 29, 2008, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) issued Change Request 5717 titled â€śUpdate to Audiology Policiesâ€ť. Transmittal 1470 of that change request provided clarifications to the Medicare Claims Processing Manual (Pub. 100-02). In Pub 100-02, Chapter 12, Section 30.3, the manual instructions state, â€ś. . . the audiologistâ€™s NPI is required on all claims for services furnished by audiologists.â€ť Use of the NPI in the primary identifier field on a claim requires Medicare enrollment.
Note that CMS is instructing contractors to, prior to October 1, 2008, continue to process claims without the NPI of the audiologist. All other instructions in Change Request 5717 remain unchanged.
CMS will require the use of the NPI on claims for diagnostic test services furnished by audiologists on or after October 1, 2008. Audiologists are encouraged to obtain an NPI and enroll as soon as possible.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join