AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Platelet Gel Injections

Cool Platelet Gel Injections

AAPC: Back to School
    For the AMBSURG procedures, the patient does not enter the OR. I withdraw 40-60 cc's of blood from a venous catheter that I insert into the antecubital vein. I then remove the catheter, hold pressure, and when adequate hemostasis is achieved, I take the blood to the OR and place it into the blood process device where it is spun and separated into it's component parts (RBC's, platelet rich plasma(PRP) (which includes some RBC's and WBC's) and platelet poor plasma(PPP). I then take the PRP and add PPP to the syringe to give 10 cc's of product. I then return to the AMSURG where the wound is prepared and where the PRP and Calcium/Thrombin mixture is sprayed onto the wound creating a gel. This gel is left on the wound and is dressed according to the physicians orders, and the patient is then discharged.

I was reading other threads regarding platelet gel. I am wondering if I could use Ambulatory Time instead of a procedure code since there isn't one? Any thoughts??

Boone, NC

Janet, we don'tdo protein plasma injections but I recently attended a workshop where they advised us to use CPT 86999 (unlisted transfusino medicine procedure) when blood is drawn intraoperatively from patient and centrifuged to separate the platelet rich from platelet poor plasma & the red cells are injected into the operative site.

We tried to use that for the lab end. I am wondering if I can use a debridement code? 97597
    Although we don't debride this everytime...