abnormal tsh

Question abnormal tsh
    Medical Coding Books
    i am having trouble finding a dx code for abnormal tsh. help please.

i looked under abnormal and under findings.

Red face
    Under abnormal it states for "test results without manifest disease - see Findings, abnormal". Looks like 794.5 or 796.4. Sorry, not that much help.

3. Default
    I have been using 790.99. 794.5 or 794.6 is for abnormal function study. If the test result came from blood I would use 790.99.

Default ABNORMAL tsh
    dx CODE IS 790.6. TSH is considered a blood chemistry (CPT 84443); therefore code 790.6 "abnormal blood chemistry, other.......would be appropriate.

5. Default
    if a patient has an abnormal tsh, I think you can code hypothyriod or hyperthyroid depending the result.

6. Default
    Thanks tammyboyer! Your reply was very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by lajames View Post
    if a patient has an abnormal tsh, I think you can code hypothyriod or hyperthyroid depending the result.
    No you cannot. Only the provider may diagnose based on the lab results. As a coder you are not qualified to determine the diagnosis based on an Abnormal lab.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

8. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    No you cannot. Only the provider may diagnose based on the lab results. As a coder you are not qualified to determine the diagnosis based on an Abnormal lab.
    My doctor just use the up arrow with tsh next to it, LOL but i wish my doctor would just state a dx instead of arrows and signs. Anyways thank you, that was very helpful to me, i know we cannot dx based on lab results, i wish they would either state hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism LOL, ill use the 794.5