Without more information, it is hard to answer this question. Is the patient in the hospital for something unrelated to the pregnancy? Is there a complication of the pregnancy? Is this an inpatient stay? Is this an admit or subsequent visit? I am assuming from your question that there is enough documentation in MDM to support the higher code, you just don't have enough HPI and/or exam.
Documenting time based counseling is one option if the visit was predominantly counseling, although I don't see this often in a hospital setting.
You could also look at single system exam requirements under the 97 guidelines. (This may be your best bet in this scenario).
Hope this helps some.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join