Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A Day in the life of a coder/biller...

Question A Day in the life of a coder/biller...
    Medical Coding Books
    I am a student in coding and although I have met with a few coders locally, I would like to know what other coders' daily routine is like. Is there a seasonal or annual cycle to what you do? How much interaction do you have with the public? Or do you spend most of your time in a quiet cubicle?

Do billers have the same routine?

Thanks!

It all depends on your title/position...I worked in a Gastroenterology group for five and a half years as a billing/insurance clerk. I posted insurance payments, worked denials, worked AR reports, collections, coded and audited physicians charts, entered daily charges, transmitted electronic claims to clearinghouse, answered patients questions regarding bills, verified insurance coverage, entered patient demographics, obtained referrals and precertification, and many other tasks.

Today I work for a hospital as a coder/analyst and I don't have any interaction with the public and I do sit in my cube most of the day and just code. It is a change of pace from what I am used to but I am begining to like it.
    Christina Lee Wagner, CPC, CPC-H

Like Christina said it all depends on your title... I work for an Internal Medicine practice and I do it all... post charges, pmts, answer phone calls, submit claims, work denials, internal auditing, physician education. Reconstruct billing cards... the whole nine yards, I don't think I would like to just sit and code all day long I like the interaction also....

Roxanne

I agree with Roxanne and Christina. In my opinion, the best jobs are when you get to do it all like Roxanne. You really get to expand your knowlege base and your skills are thus more marketable, plus you don't get bored. Unfortunately, in my position, I just sit and code all day, and when you work for a single specialty practice, that can get very monotonous. But I would like to try a smaller practice where I could do it all.
    K-CPC

Thanks for some insight into this field. I actually spent some time with hospitall coders before I started into this and it appeared they each had their own cubicle in a quiet setting. It was actually very appealing to me after 20 some years of working in a public setting (I worked in a zoo!) I am ready for some quiet time

I work in an ASC. It's a multispecialty ASC so I get to get my hands a little dirty in quite a few different specialties. Great experience. I also do A/R for a Dr on a p/t basis. Can't get better than that I think.
    codermcdreamy CPC, CPC-H

Talking Coding
    I Work For Radiology And Love It I Sit In My Cub All Day In The Quite Just Coding Away Would Not Have It Any Other Way. :d....DEBORAH CPC,RCC

8. Default couple questions
    I am finishing up a medical coding course. It touches on medical billing, but not a whole lot. Would you all recommend I take a short medical billing course....or can you get some on the job experience? Would a facility be willing to do that?
    I worked as a nursing assistant , then an LPN years back & which I really enjoyed at the time...
    Now I am welcoming the office job setting.
    I think I would like some people interaction though.

9. Default
    the days do vary, some days I spend alot of time pulling charts, chasing doctors to sign or re-code certain items, other times I can get my work done along with helping the coder in the pediatrics dept.

I code for internal medicine, ob/gyn, podiatry, nephrology, nutrition and diabetic teaching and dental. Its a clinic setting so not always very busy as the pts are sometimes not very compliant and they dont keep their appts or show up for them.

most days I code, review coding, check insurance eligibility, check registration, answer phones, I sometimes, have to fill in for front office staff when they are out sick or on vacation - so that tends to put me behind- run reports. Month end time is pretty hectic - right now actually- because the financial dept needs to run their reports and we need to enter everything for the previous month before we can start a new month, reports have to be run, batches need to be closed out, daily and monthly closes need to occur before we can enter new (next month items). So for the first few days of a new month I find that I have alot of work to get into the system, its usually about 2 days worth... It just happens that its a Thursday - so I will have todays work, tomorrow and Saturday to enter on Monday...(it will definitely make the day go by pretty quick). I have only worked for this clinic for about a 1 1/2 years, I worked for another group for 12 years and my responsibilities there... well lets just say I was a "jack of all trades".... trained staff, referrals, preauthorizations, daily deposit, banking, payroll processing, reviews, computer upkeep for EMR , daily schedule maintenance...etc...etc.. so much to mention, my point is every office functions differently and depending on the number of staff, number of providers and how busy your facility is/isnt, a coder may have to wear SEVERAL hats throughout the day- which I enjoyed, remember you can never know too much, learn as much as you can, retain, keep notes, ask questions, the more knowledgeable you are the more $$$$ you can make, I started way back - as a phone receptionist- $8 and hour- now Im working in a facility and also coding from home - making $25/hr at one place and $22 at the other, there is more to made and Im working on that... Reach for the stars...

Quote Originally Posted by gerrie0820 View Post
    remember you can never know too much, learn as much as you can, retain, keep notes, ask questions, the more knowledgeable you are the more $$$$ you can make, I started way back - as a phone receptionist- $8 and hour- now Im working in a facility and also coding from home - making $25/hr at one place and $22 at the other, there is more to made and Im working on that... Reach for the stars...
    I was wondering how you started coding at home. I just got my CPC-A and while I enjoy coding at my current job but my end goal is to be able to work for home. Thanks for any input you have on the subject.
    Last edited by DAVANNES; 05-01-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast